The Community Eye Health Journal in your pocket
Access to practical, peer-reviewed and relevant eye health articles at your fingertips – even when internet connection is a challenge.
The Community Eye Health Journal has come a long way in the last three decades: our paper editions reach over twenty thousand people worldwide, our online readership has grown to 120,000 and our articles have been viewed or downloaded on PubMed 1.2 million times.
With the rapid increase in cellphone/mobile phone use worldwide, and based on your feedback to our 2010 and 2015 reader surveys, we have now launched the Community Eye Health Journal app for Android phones, iPhones, tablets and internet browsers. If you’ve ever wished you had a copy of the journal with you, or found an article you were in a hurry to share with your colleagues, our new app is just what you need!
The Community Eye Health Journal app allows you to:
- Get access to issues from the last 10 years.
- Find content by year in the Issues tab (see the menu bar at the bottom of the screen). Swipe left or right across the top to scroll between years, and tap the year to see the list of issues.
- Look in the Topic tab for articles related to common keywords.
- Use the search tool (the magnifying glass, top right on most screens) to find something specific.
- Move between the articles in an issue using the PREV (previous) and NEXT buttons at the top of each article.
- Visit News for information about courses, conferences and updates (you will also receive a push notification when a new issue or article is published).
- Bookmark or download articles and issues when you’re online.
- Find and organise your bookmarks and downloads in your own personal Library.
When you read an article, you will find even more useful features in the pop-up menu – tap the three dots top right to view it (Figure 1). Here you can:
- Share the article via email or social media
- Select Night mode (white text on a black background) to improve contrast
- Change the text size to improve visibility.
- Bookmark or download the article to the Library
- Tap and hold an image to save it to your camera roll.
Here you can create and name your own folders to organise your content, e.g. for outreach visits, teaching or patient education. To access your library, you will be asked to create a free and secure account using an email address and a password of your own choosing. Everything you have downloaded and organised in your folders will always be accessible, even if you change devices or lose a device. You can also log into your library account on multiple devices, including your mobile, tablet or computer.
We want to hear from you!
We have worked hard to make the app as useful, user-friendly and accessible as possible. Have we succeeded? Is there anything else you would like the app to be able to do? Get in touch via Twitter or Facebook (@CEHJournal) or email us at email@example.com Let us know if you notice any errors or need help using the app.
Download the app
You can also view the app in any browser, on any device, by visiting https://m.cehjournal.org
Thank you to Tijssen Foundation and the Peek Vision Foundation (www.peekvision.org) for funding the development of the Community Eye Health Journal app.